Women in Business

rss rss twitter facebook

Federal Certifications and Programs

As the owner of a small business, you may qualify for specific certifications or programs based on a variety of factors. Review the information below and determine which programs could apply to you or your geographic place of business. For more information on any of these programs visit www.sba.gov/category/navigation-structure/contracting/working-with-government/small-business-certifications-audiences

Women-Owned Small Business Federal Contract Program 

Women Business Owners may be afforded special consideration for contracts awarded by federal agencies. Center for Technology & Business does not perform federal certification but we may be able to you with the process if you need assistance.

We do conduct site visits in North Dakota on behalf of the National Women Business Owners Corporation (NWBOC) which is a Third Party Certifier for Federal Women Owned Small Business (WOSB) Certification. For more information on NWBOC services visit www.nwboc.org

The following organizations are the only approved Third Party Certifiers for the WOSB Program

Small Business Certification

You may self-certify yourself as a small business, but you must meet the federal government’s definition of small business and register as a vender with SAM.gov

8(a) Business Development

To qualify for the 8(a) Program, a small business must be owned and controlled by a socially and economically disadvantaged individual. The 8(a) Program is an essential instrument for helping socially and economically disadvantaged entrepreneurs gain access to the economic mainstream of American society.

Veteran & Service-Disabled Veteran Owned

If you are a veteran or service-disabled veteran, you have several options to choose from when starting your business. Many government agencies require that some percentage of the procurements be set aside for veteran businesses.

HUBZone Certification

The Historically Underutilized Business Zones (HUBZone) program helps small businesses in urban and rural communities gain preferential access to federal procurement opportunities. These preferences go to small businesses that obtain HUBZone certification in part by employing staff who live in a HUBZone. The company must also maintain a "principal office" in one of these specially designated areas.

Native Americans

If you are a Native American seeking a certification for your small business, contact the Indian Affairs’ Division of Economic Development.

For more information on federal procurement opportunities visit our government contracting page.