About ND WOB Certification
WHAT is WOB Certification?
WOB Certification stands for Woman Owned Business Certification and denotes that a woman (or women) has majority ownership and control of a business entity (at least 51%). WOB Certification is not based on company size, number of employees, or profitability. This certification is conducted by Center for Technology & Business who is solely authorized by the ND Department of Commerce to examine the applicants’ documentation and qualify the applicant for status as a Certified Women Owned Business in the State of North Dakota.
WHO Qualifies for WOB Certification?
Any woman-owned business can apply for WOB Certification if the company meets the criteria of majority ownership and control of the business. Majority ownership means at least 51% of the business is owned by a woman or women. This is established through the legal paperwork associated with the business as well as the concept of control of the business. A woman has control of the business if she is the final decision maker for all aspects of the business - financial, production, contracting, etc. - or she has delegated that authority to an employee manager or another partial owner. A few key aspects we look for when determining who the majority owner is include who holds the highest title in the business and who receives the largest paycheck from the business.
WHY Get WOB Certified?
Women business owners say that WOB Certification is important to them because it adds credibility to their company, as well as being part of their business development strategy.
Other benefits of the ND WOB Certification include
- Directory Listing on CTB website
- Listing in annual press releases during National Small Business Week (May) and Women’s Business Week (third week of October) in various media outlets across ND
- Discount on ed2go online courses (call 701-223-0707 prior to registering for special pricing)
- Exclusive access to Quarterly Newsletter
- Guest blogging opportunities on ndwomeninbusiness.com
- Featured WOB member profile (click here to submit profile)
- Window cling designating your business as Women Owned
- Official ND Women Owned Business Certificate to display in your place of business
- Official ND Women Owned Business logo for use on your website, social media pages and printed marketing materials
- Special shout-outs via CTB social media outlets
- Early and exclusive registration opportunities for CTB trainings and special events
- Networking opportunities with peers and community leaders
- Opportunity to contribute to Annual Women In Business Survey
- Opportunities to apply for special Women Owned Business annual awards
- Opportunities to attend conferences and trainings sponsored by CTB (limited and on application basis)
- and more!
HOW Do I Get Certified as a Women Owned Business?
You can apply right here on this website for WOB Certification! Click here to apply. The application requirements include detailed information supplied by the business owner and interviews with business references. Once the application and supporting documentation is received, it is reviewed for approval. There is a non-refundable $225 application fee.
WHEN Will I Know if I am Certified?
The typical turnaround time for a decision on approval is 2-3 weeks but varies depending on availability of business references. If your application is successful and you are approved as a Certified WOB you will be mailed a certificate to display in your place of business, you will also be granted the perks of being a Certified WOB listed above. If your application is not successful you will be emailed a response explaining the decision and notifying you of your options.